Student Employment Policies

Search/Apply for Positions

Students who have been awarded federal work study (FWS) as part of their financial assistance are responsible for securing their own employment opportunity. Providence College does not place or assign students work study positions.  Therefore, in order to maximize your opportunities students are encouraged to submit their ​employment application to more than one department for consideration at a time. Also, the Office of Financial Aid recommends that students apply to as many positions that are within an individuals interest, skills, and abilities since the employment search is competitive.

Students enrolled in SCE are not eligible for on-campus student employment positions.  Students enrolled in Graduate programs are only eligible to apply for assistantships.

Regular Student Employment

If you wish to work during the academic year, but ha​​​ve not been awarded or are not eligible for FWS, can do so through the Regular Student Payroll (RSP). These jobs can also be searched and applied for within the Handshake beginning at the start of the school. However, since priority is given to students with FWS, it may take longer for a RSP applicant to hear back from the department. It is important to stay in contact with the hiring supervisor to periodically check on the status of your application.

Required Paperwork and Online Application

You must submit an online application for each job you wish to be considered for hire. Once you have secured a position you will need to complete and submit employment paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid, Harkins Hall 403.  Student employees must not begin working until they have completed and submitted all of the required forms (with exception of the optional direct deposit form).  All forms can be obtained by visiting the Forms page under the Self-Service section.

Brand New Hire

If this is your first student employment job you will need to complete the following:

  • Employment Certification Form
  • W-4 Form
  • I-9 Form
  • Direct Deposit Form (optional)
  • GLBA Evaluation Form
  • Online Application (in Handshake!)


If you are returning to the same FWS or RSP job you had in the prior year your supervisor should have already placed you on the rehire list and there is no additional paperwork necessary for you to complete.

Changing Jobs

The following forms need to be completed if working a different academic year position from last year:

  • Employment Certification Form
  • Direct Deposit Form – Optional
  • Online Application (in Handshake!)

Summer Employment

If you are working over the summer you will need to complete the following forms:

  • Employment Certification Form
  • Direct Deposit Form – Optional
  • Summer Employment Resource Form
  • Online Application (in Handshake!)

How Earnings are applied

It is important to remember work earnings are not credited to the student account. Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis for only the hours worked. Students who have FWS may earn up to the award amount listed in their CyberFriar Account.

Can I have more than one job?

Students are limited to holding just one student employment position.  In very rare cases a student may, with prior approval from the Office of Financial Aid, hold a second on-campus position. It is important to note, Resident Assistants are not authorized to work two jobs and no student is permitted to work three student employment positions.

Resident Assistants

If you have been hired as a Resident Assistant (RA), you cannot work 2 jobs on campus since RAs typically work the maximum number of hours per week (i.e. 20). For information about compensation email

Maximum Working Hours

You may not work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year no exceptions. During the summer session and academic year break periods students must not work more than 35 hours per week unless your employment is considered a community service position and then you cannot work more than 40 hours per week. If a student employee exceeds hours permitted per week, disciplinary action will be taken. If student employees falsify or forge time sheets, the violation will result in immediate termination and disciplinary action.

Working over Academic Year Breaks

You may work over academic year breaks. If you are working the same job there is no additional paperwork or online application necessary for you to complete unless your supervisor is changing your pay rate (i.e. Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders). In that case you will need to complete another Employment Certification Form. If you are changing positions/jobs over break, then you will need to complete another Employment Certification Form and online application to the new position’s job posting.

Web-time Entry by CyberFriar

All undergraduate students working at Providence College must enter actual hours worked directly into the CyberFriar website to be paid. Student employees are responsible for the accuracy of the hours entered. Students must not work more than 20 hours per week, therefore a maximum of 40 hours per pay period during the academic year (except summer and academic year breaks). All students working 6 or more hour shifts must take a 30 minute unpaid break. This break must be logged into the CyberFriar time sheet. Worked hours should be entered in CyberFriar on a daily basis.  Supervisors are responsible for verifying and approving their student employee’s time sheets in CyberFriar. Upon supervisor approval, the hours are processed electronically by Payroll.

Lunch Break

Employees working a six hour shift or longer must receive at least 30 minute lunch break. It is up to the department to decide if the lunch break is longer. The lunch break must be indicated via web-time entry records. To be noted: lunch breaks are unpaid.


If you have not received a paycheck, but have submitted hours worked, please visit the Office of Financial Aid to make sure that all of your paperwork & application are completed, submitted, and you have been authorized to start working. If you have completed all of your employment paperwork, then it may be necessary for you to speak with Student Payroll, located in Harkins Hall Room 400.

Accommodation Requests

The College is committed to providing reasonable accommodations that will permit a student worker to perform the essential functions of the job, unless it would present an undue hardship to the College, and has instituted a procedure for handling accommodation requests for student employees with disabilities. Please contact The Office of Financial Aid.

On-the-Job Injury

If a student is injured on the job; the student must report the injury to their job supervisor.


Upon graduation from Providence College a student employee may not continue working beyond their graduation date.